From our childhood days and henceforth, we were told of the importance of drinking enough milk or taking care for our bones by eating calcium rich produce. So what does the ever growing, ever emerging soft drink industry have to do with your calcium body levels? There’s no denying the addiction some people have when it comes to soft drinks, but what is it that makes our body crave for these sugar-filled drinks? Truth be told some of these modern carbonated beverages are really refreshing especially when consumed straight from the bottle. Soft drinks are very phosphatic. The excess of phosphates destroy calcium in our body. That in itself would not be so tragic if we all get enough calcium from our daily food.
Therefore, if you wish to stay healthy, here are some points you must consider:
- Drink soft drinks and fruit drinks which are enriched with minerals and calcium.
- Drink mineral water which contains calcium along with many minerals.
- Eat plenty of natural products that contain calcium: broccoli, spinach, kale, celery, turnips.
- Take an effervescent calcium tablet.
- Most importantly, drink plenty of milk and milk products or lactose free products for those who are lactose intolerant.
Here are some things to watch out for and avoid:
- Gulping up the drinks ice cold could in some cases lead to an inflammation of the stomach. It is best to wait a bit when you take them out of the fridge.
- Some of these drinks contain enormous amount of sugar, which, do not really quench the thirst but instead deliver enormous calories.
- Get light and low caloric soft drinks with sugar-free or sugar alternate ingredients. This is almost always stated on the bottle label.
Recommended Calcium Intake
The ideal bone structure of a young adult and an elderly person, requires about 3/4 liter of milk. It provides the body, the vital amount of 800 milligrams of calcium.